December 21, 2009
Michael Antonowitch. Supervisor
Los Angeles County
Fax: 213 974 1010
Dear Supervisor Antonowitch:
I contacted your office almost two months ago, with a request in re: obtaining public records from the Los Angeles Sheriff Department - the Arrest and Booking papers of:
1. Booking No: 1824367 Richard Fine
2. Booking No: 2088144 Ronald Gottschalk
The arrest and booking papers were public records by law, pursuant to California Public Records Act. I was advised to that effect by the Legal Director of a well-known civil rights organization.
Regarding Richard Fine:
1) I was first told that the papers were with Cindy at the Discovery Unit. She knew nothing about it.
2) I was then told that the papers were with Reception at Twin Towers. They had none.
3) I was then told that the papers were with the San Pedro Municipal Court – no such court existed.
4) Finally – I was told that the sheriff would allow the papers to be seen only by court order.
Regarding Ronald Gottschalk:
1) Access to the papers was denied with no explanation at all.
Mr Gottschalk was since released on bail, regardless, I am seeking your help in access to these public records. The same civil rights organization advised me that they filed such requests routinely in other counties, and other counties complied with the law.
There is no reason that LA County would not comply with the law in this matter.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.