Monday, June 25, 2012

12-06-25 Sheriff Joe Arpaio: "I'm Not Stopping Anything"

While the Sheriff is not my favorite, here is my perspective:
 
There are similarities between what is going on in Arizona and Montana.  It does not matter if it is immigration, the birth certificate, pot, abortion, or citizens united.  Certain state politicians/religious leaders ride the popular wave by expressing their disdain of the federal government in general and the Supreme Court of the United States, in particular, using local/religious trigger issues. 
Seen that way, it is just another symptom of the US Constitutional Crisis.  It may reach the level of physical confrontation in the not too far future, for example, in federal attempt to locally enforce unpopular decisions of the Supreme Court.
In fact, one may say that Sheriff Joe was bating the federal government, and the more they confront him on the immigration issue, while refusing to address the birth certificate issue, the more they fall into his trap.  If they imprison Sheriff Joe, he would become a national hero and rebels' cause.  If they don't - they lose control.  It's a heads you lose, tails I win situation for the feds.
_____

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: "I'm Not Stopping Anything"

AZ Sheriff Joe Arpaio on FOX News today: "I'm not stopping anything. I'm going to continue to enforce those state laws regardless of what the federal government is trying to put pressure on me to satisfy all these activists, which by the way are in front of my building right now."

"Three and half years they've been in front of my building. So, I'm not going to bend to the federal government, especially when we still have state laws to enforce."

VID:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/06/25/sheriff_joe_arpaio_im_not_stopping_anything.html#.T-kWZfnvjCA.facebook

No comments: